5 Utica football players commit to LTU

Back to Article
Back to Article

5 Utica football players commit to LTU

Next years freshmen class playing for Lawrence Tech from Utica High Brendan Dehondt, Hitesh Kumar, Cloin Motloch, Kavon Higdon, and Logan Wessel

Reid Bonifas

Five of Utica’s 2017 football players will be joining the same college football team in 2018 at Lawrence Tech University. The University will be starting up their football program for the first time since the 1930s.

The team is opening up their first season this fall. The Blue Devils will be receiving a variety of chieftain talent from positions all over the field.

An all around player Kavon Higdon will be versatile on both sides of the ball at the skill positions.

“I look forward to starting something great,” senior Kavon Higdon said, “the players already at LTU have been itching to play so it’s only right to match their eagerness and establish a legacy.

Along with Higdon, the two monster linemen Colin Motloch and Logan Wessel will be leading the way on offense upfront.

“I’m happy there’s a few Utica guys going there,” senior Logan Wessel said, “it’s going to give us a feeling of home and give Utica a good name in Southfield”

On the defensive side of the ball Brendan Dehondt will be a quick aggressive defensive end and Hitesh Kumar a hard hitting linebacker/ running back will complete their defense.

“It will be easier to grow as a team because of the bond we already have together,” senior Colin Motloch said, “I am also excited to meet a lot of the new teammates from all over.”

The players hope to transfer there success at Utica to Lawrence Tech after having brought the team to their first playoff appearance and winning season since the 2010 team.

Reid Bonifas, Sports editor

Reid Bonifas is a sports reporter for the newspaper. He is a senior and is graduating in 2018. He plays football and does track and field. He is a wonderful...